It is not uncommon to run a 32-bit installation of Microsoft Office on a 64-bit Windows operating system. Typically, for 64-bit Windows, we recommend you install the 64-bit version of QuerySurge. When 32-bit Office is mixed with 64-bit QuerySurge (specifically, a 64-bit QuerySurge Agent), inconsistencies in bit architecture may cause issues when querying Excel files – the 64-bit QuerySurge Agent has trouble communicating with the 32-bit drivers for Microsoft Office.
Downgrading to 32-bit for your QuerySurge Agent
One solution for this situation is to downgrade the Agent you will use to compare your Excel files from 64- to 32-bit configurations (a 32-bit Agent with 64-bit QuerySurge is not a problem). This article shows the procedure for downgrading to a 32-bit Agent.
Uninstalling or Deleting a 64-bit QuerySurge Agent
- In the Start menu, launch the Agent Service Console (All Programs > QuerySurge > Open Agent Console).
- Stop the Agent Service using the Stop Agent Service, then close the Agent Console and log out of QuerySurge.
- In Windows Explorer, locate the QuerySurge installation directory. Navigate to the <QuerySurge Install Dir>\QuerySurge\ directory. In a standard installation, this will be: C:\Program Files\QuerySurge\.
- If the Agent is the only component deployed on this box, you can use the uninstall feature to remove the QuerySurge Agent. However, if other QuerySurge components are also deployed on this box, you will need to do the following:
- Delete the agent folder (using Shift + Delete).
- Open a Command Prompt window and enter the following command: sc delete QuerySurgeAgent
Installing a 32-bit QuerySurge Agent
- Download the 32-bit Windows installer for QuerySurge.
- Run the 32-bit installer. If you are installing on a box that houses any other currently deployed QuerySurge components, make sure you select a directory that is different than your current installation directory.
- When prompted, select only the Agent component to install.
- When prompted, test the newly Agent connection to the existing QuerySurge application server (you will need to enter the hostname and port number on which the QuerySurge App server is running). If the Agent is being installed on the same box as the QuerySurge App server, then localhost may work.
- Select Next to complete the installation.
- Log into QuerySurge and navigate to the Agents grid (Administration > View Agents).
- Make sure that the newly installed Agent is enabled (click the Enabled checkbox on the left of the Agents tab in the Admin view if the checkbox is not already selected).
Note: Some or all of the above steps may require administrative rights.