Using QuerySurge to Test Multiple Environments
When using QuerySurge to test your Data Warehouse or Big Data deployments, it is often be necessary to test in multiple environments (development, QA, staging, production, etc.). QuerySurge provides a mechanism for working with multiple environments, called “Connection Overriding.” This allows users to point their Test Suites at different environments by overriding the Connections at the Suite level without modifying the Connections of the underlying QueryPairs.
Override Test Suite Connections
- Let’s assume that you have already written multiple QueryPairs and created Test Suites to execute them. The following procedure within QuerySurge will allow you to execute against your different environments, based on need.
- The simplest way to implement with multiple environments is to use a single set of Suites, and to point them at each different environment when you need to. However, users may also create multiple copies of their Suites, and point each copy at a different environment. That is the procedure illustrated here.
- Navigate to the Scheduling view and, using the Create Suite button, create separate Test Suites for each of your environments (in this example, Production and QA, which are given the Suite names Production Test Suite and QA Test Suite, respectively).
- Add QueryPairs to your Suites, by dragging-and-dropping from the QueryPair Library tree in the right panel into the center panel.
- Make sure to save your Test Suites by clicking the disk icon on the upper-left of the center panel.
Note: When creating multiple parallel Suites for multiple environments, a good Suite naming convention is helpful.
- Set the Connection Override Behavior. Choose a Suite (we’ll start with the Production Test Suite for this example) and then click the Properties tab at the lower-right of the center panel. Notice the section called Connection Override Behavior. There are three Connection Override options:
Do Not Override – The Source and Target Connection that is set in the Design Library for each QueryPair is used. This is the default setting.
Test Suite – The Source and/or Target Connection set in the Suite level is used for all QueryPairs in the Suite (this does not change or affect the Connections at the QueryPair level).
Mixed – The Source and Target Connection that is set at the QueryPair level is used unless no Connection has been set for a QueryPair. In this case, the execution uses the Connection set at the Suite level.
- To set up Connection overriding for your Suite, click on the Test Suite radio button.
- Now, you’ll need to choose the specific Connection overrides for the Source and/or Target Connections. To point to different environments, under Connection Override Behavior, select the overrides under Connection Configuration from the Source and/or Target drop-down lists. In this example, we update our Suite to point to our Production environments (Source Connection: "Oracle 11g Sales"; Target Connection: "Oracle 12c DW"). Make sure to click Save when you’re finished.
Note: You can override just the Source Connection, or just the Target Connection, or both.
Note: The Override does not change or affect QueryPair Connections; it only modifies the behavior at the Suite level.
- Repeat the steps above for all of the Suites that you need to re-point.
- Congratulations! You can now use your Suites to test against multiple environments! After running both Suites, you can see the appropriate Connections were used.