What is a "Debug" or a "Fix" Agent?
A "Debug" or a "Fix" Agent is a custom-built QuerySurge Agent that has been developed to help work through a problem you are experiencing. Typically, we develop these on an as-needed basis and make them available to users to run or test in their environment. You may be asked to send logs or other artifacts after running with a Debug or a Fix Agent.
Note: A code change or feature in a Debug or Fix Agent is not guaranteed to be included in the official QuerySurge code base. This means that if you upgrade, the custom change may disappear. Check with us before you upgrade!
Note: You will likely need Admin rights to perform this task.
Note: Especially regarding Debug Agents, it may be important to revert back to your "official" Agent build immediately after performing the debug task, as a Debug Agent may increase log output significantly.
Steps for Deploying a Debug or a Fix Agent
- Obtain the Debug or Fix Agent from QuerySurge support. This usually will be in the form of a download, but depending on circumstances, it may be made available to you via a different mechanism. The download will be a .zip, a .tar or a tar.gz compressed file. If your Agent is deployed on Windows, make sure you have a tool to expand the file (7zip or a similar tool). If your Agent is deployed on Linux, you can expand the file from the command line.
- Stop the Agent or Agents that you want to deploy the Debug or Fix build to. (It is best to deploy to a single Agent initially.)
- Create a new subdirectory with the name: orig-agent/ in your Agent install directory (Windows: <QuerySurge Install Dir>\QuerySurge\agent; Linux: /<QuerySurge Install Dir>/QuerySurge/agent).
- Move the following items from the agent/ directory to the orig-agent/ directory that you created in step (3):
- The file qsagent.jar
- The directory lib/
- A new qsagent.jar file
- A zip file called qsagent-lib.zip
Steps for Reverting from a Debug or a Fix Agent to an "official" Agent
To revert, simply perform the procedure above in reverse order:
- Stop the Agent or Agents that you deployed the Debug or Fix build to.
- In the agent/ directory, delete the following:
- the new qsagent.jar file
- the new lib/ directory
- the original qsagent.jar file
- the original lib/ directory