What is a "Debug" or a "Fix" Agent?
A "Debug" or a "Fix" Agent is a custom-built QuerySurge Agent that has been developed to help work through a problem you are experiencing. Typically, we develop these on an as-needed basis and make them available to users to run or test in their environment. You may be asked to send logs or other artifacts after running with a Debug or a Fix Agent.
Note: A code change or feature in a Debug or Fix Agent is not guaranteed to be included in the official QuerySurge code base. This means that if you upgrade, the custom change may disappear.
Note: You will likely need Admin rights to perform this task.
Note: Especially regarding Debug Agents, it may be important to revert back to your "official" Agent build immediately after performing the debug task, as a Debug Agent may increase log output significantly.
Steps for Deploying a Debug or a Fix Agent
- Obtain the Debug or Fix Agent from QuerySurge support. This usually will be in the form of a download, but depending on circumstances, it may be made available to you via a different mechanism. Typically, the download will be a .tar or a tar.gz compressed file. If your Agent is deployed on Windows, make sure you have a tool to expand the file (7zip or a similar tool). If your Agent is deployed on Linux, you can expand the file from the command line.
- Stop the Agent or Agents that you want to deploy the Debug or Fix build to.
- In your Agent install directory (Windows: \\<QuerySurge Install Dir>\QuerySurge\agent; Linux: /<QuerySurge Install Dir>/QuerySurge/agent), create a new subdirectory with the name: orig-agent/.
- Move the following items from the agent/ directory to the orig-agent/ directory that you created in (3):
- The file qsagent.jar
- The directory lib/
- A new qsagent.jar file
- A zip file called qsagent-lib.zip
Steps for Reverting from a Debug or a Fix Agent to an "official" Agent
To revert, simply perform the procedure above in reverse order:
- Stop the Agent or Agents that you deployed the Debug or Fix build to.
- In the agent/ directory, delete the following:
- the new qsagent.jar file
- the new lib/ directory
- the original qsagent.jar file
- the original lib/ directory