QuerySurge's end-to-end data testing solution provides testing of all legs in the ETL process, and the QuerySurge BI Tester data source feature extends the solution to the Business Intelligence layer. BI Tester for MicroStrategy allows QA team members to automate the process of retrieving data from MicroStrategy reports and validating it against any supported data source. Users can use powerful SQL syntax to query the data query layer of reports, compare report data to data from upstream or downstream systems, create suites of multiple BI report tests, and schedule tests for execution according to BI system availability.
For a MicroStrategy connection, you will need the following information (check with a MicroStrategy administrator or other knowledgeable resource in your organization):
- Server version
- Server hostname and port
- Username and password
- Authentication Type (Standard, LDAP, Anonymous)
- Project Source
- Service Path
Note: QuerySurge's BI Tester feature is licensed separately. Contact QuerySurge Sales for information.
Connect to MicroStrategy
- Log into QuerySurge as an Admin user. Navigate to the QuerySurge Admin view.
- To configure a MicroStrategy Connection, select Configuration > Connection in the Admin view tree (at the left).
- Click on the Add button at the bottom left of the main panel to launch the Connection Wizard. Check the Advanced Mode checkbox. Click Next.
- Provide a name for your Connection. Then, select "BI Tester: MicroStrategy" as the Data Source.
Note: The BI Tester JDBC driver is bundled with QuerySurge; install this driver on your Agent(s) from your QuerySurge Installer.
- Once you have selected your BI Tester Data Source, the Wizard will tell you what information you are likely to need in order to create your Connection. Once you have collected this information, you are ready to click Next.
- Provide the connection information to your MicroStrategy server. All fields are required to
Server Name/IP: The host name or IP address of the MicroStrategy WebService server
Port: The port which the web service is installed on (Normally 80)
Service Path: The installed service URL path for MicroStrategy Web Service. The common paths are /MicroStrategyWS/MSTRWS.asmx for ASP environments and /MicroStrategyWS/services/MSTRWSJ for J2EE
Project Source: IP or host name of the MicroStrategy Intelligence Server
Project: Name of the project which data should be extracted from
Version: Current version of MicroStrategy
Auth Type: Authorization type, currently QuerySurge supports Standard, LDAP and anonymous
Username: Username for connecting to MicroStrategy
Password: Password for account
Note: QuerySurge only supports specific MicroStrategy versions at this time. If your version does not appear in the dropdown, contact QuerySurge Support to see if there are any options.
- In the Advanced Mode, several additional options are available. Adjust these options as needed and click Next.
Max String Width: Maximum size of all "string" or "text" columns returned in a query on this connection. Values beyond this size will be truncated to fit. Defaults to 500 bytes.
Temporary Data Location: Whether data retrieved from MicroStrategy should be processed in memory, or in a temporary file on disk. In Memory provides better performance, but requires enough Agent heap memory for the datasets to be queried through this connection. (See instructions for adjusting heap on Linux or Windows.) On Disk provides capacity for larger result sets at the expense of slower performance. Defaults to In Memory.
Protocol: When connecting to MicroStrategy installations configured for SSL/TLS, select https to handle the encrypted traffic. Defaults to http.
- Click on the Test Connection button.
Note: You must have an Agent running with the driver deployed for this Connection deployed in order to test the Connection.
- Click the Save button to save the Connection.
- Congratulations! You’ve created a QuerySurge Connection. Again, make sure that you have deployed the driver for this Connection to all your QuerySurge Agents. (See the Agent Installation Guide for Windows or Linux for instructions.)