QuerySurge Installation Architecture
QuerySurge Component Details
QuerySurge consists of four main components:
- QuerySurge App Server – Hosts the Web 2.0 User Interface and manages QuerySurge execution
- QuerySurge Database – QuerySurge’s MySQL embedded database
- QuerySurge Agent(s) – Sends queries to Source and Target Connections and retrieves result sets
- Tutorial + Sample Data – provides Sample Data for the QuerySurge tutorial
Installation Best Practices
For most trial installations all QuerySurge components will be installed on a single machine. Some actions installation productions will take in order to improve performance are as follows:
- Deploy each component on a separate machine
- Deploy all components on a single machine with substantial resources
QuerySurge Installation Requirements
This Quick-Start guide will walk you through the installation of QuerySurge. After your installation is complete, you can refer to the Connection guides to complete your QuerySurge configuration.
What you’ll need:
- Administrative rights on the machine where you’ll be installing QuerySurge™
- The QuerySurge™ installation file for the appropriate architecture (64 bit or 32 bit)
- Connection details for any database or file that you would like to use with QuerySurge™
- Make sure all antivirus software (or similar software) is shut down before you start the installation, as these processes can interfere with the installation process, potentially breaking your installation.
Sample Connection Details:
|Oracle Example||SQL Server Example|
|Server Name||systemA.example.com||Server Name||systemB.example.com|
|User Name||myuser||User Name||myuser|
|Netezza Example||Teradata Example|
|Server Name||systemC.example.com||Server Name||systemD.example.com|
|User Name||myuser||User Name||myuser|
For more information on creating connections, see QuerySurge™ configuration.
For more information on hardware configuration for your deployment, see QuerySurge™ System Requirements.
Have Additional Questions?
The orange Questions? icon can be found on the left hand side of all our web pages and in QuerySurge.
Support is available Monday through Friday, 9am-6pm Eastern Time. If you need assistance in between active help time, you can create a ticket and our team will answer it as soon as possible.
QuerySurge Single-Machine Installation
1. Download the QuerySurge Installer onto the machine you want to install QuerySurge.
2. Double click the QuerySurge Installer to start installation.
3. Under Setup click Next.
4. After reading the License Agreement select "I accept the agreement" and click Next.
5. Leave the default option in the Installation Directory field and click Next.
6. Under Select Components, make sure to check "Database", "Server", and "Agent". If you want the QuerySurge Tutorial and Sample Data installed, leave "Tutorial + Sample Data" checked. Click Next.
7. If you want to customize the Memory Configuration, select Custom Memory Configuration and insert amount into the desired fields. If not, click Next.
8. Use the default QuerySurge Database Port value of "3306", unless it is already in use, Click Next.
9. If you applied for the BI Tester Add-On Free Trial, select Feature Code and insert the feature code included in your QuerySurge BI Tester Add-On email, if not, click Next.
10. Use the default QuerySurge Application Server Ports, unless either are in use, and click Next.
11. Select which data sources you’d like to connect to from QuerySurge. Selecting a data source will install the driver as part of the Agent installation process. After selecting your driver(s), click Next.
12. Select desired driver under Bundled Driver Selection.
Note: If you do not see your specific data source technology listed, you will be able to add additional vendor drivers to QuerySurge post-installation. For a list of vendor websites and their corresponding driver download pages, please see the full installation guide.
14. Under Ready to Install click Next.
13. Click Finish to close the Installer and launch QuerySurge in your default browser.
When you have finished this section, your installation is complete.
Note: The local firewall may require ports to be opened. The default QuerySurge ports are 80 (HTTP) and 3306 (database), however you may have modified these during installation. If the ports used during installation are blocked, the firewall may be the cause.
Log into QuerySurge
1. Open a browser and navigate to the URL: http://<server_name>/QuerySurge
Note: if you specified a different port other than "80" when installing the QuerySurge Application Server then the URL is: http://<server_name>:<port>/QuerySurge).
2. Log in with default administrative username and password:
3. Go to the QuerySurge Administration area and set the administrative password to a value of your choosing.
If you have downloaded a trial version of QuerySurge, a 15-day trial license has been included as part of the installation process. You may log into QuerySurge.
QuerySurge™ Getting Started
To help you get going, QuerySurge™ comes with a Getting Started assistant in the application that will walk you through completing some of the initial tasks as a new user.
To see this at any time, click on the button in the top menu of QuerySurge™.
Important: Be sure to back up the QuerySurge database regularly in order to Safeguard QuerySurge Data. Your only protection against data loss is a regular backup schedule. In the case of a severe outage your only possibility of recovery is based on a recent backup.
See this Knowledge Base article for backup procedures.
You are now ready to configure your QuerySurge installation with Connections to your data sources (additional Agents and Users are also configuration options). See below for links to these guides:
Configuring Connections: Oracle
- SQL Server
Configuring Connections: Microsoft SQL Server
- SQL Server with Windows Authentication
Configuring Connections: Microsoft SQL Server with Windows Authentication
Configuring Connections: Teradata
Configuring Connections: IBM DB2
Configuring Connections: IBM PureData System for Analysis (Netezza)
- Flat File – Delimited
Configuring Connections: Delimited Flat Files
- Flat File – Fixed Width
Configuring Connections: Fixed Width Flat Files
Configuring Connections: Hadoop Hive
Please see the QuerySurge - Advanced Installation Guide for Windows for additional details about QuerySurge installation.
Article is closed for comments.