QuerySurge Agents are delegated the actual query tasks by QuerySurge. By default, the QuerySurge Agent installs as a service – so it will start automatically when your Agent platform restarts, does not require a user to be logged in and has no user interface. The QuerySurge Agent does, however, have a QuerySurge Agent Service Console, which allows you to configure the Agent service on Windows and to see Agent status.
Deploy your Agent(s) to suitable boxes in your environment. While Agents may be deployed to any supported Windows platform, or to any supported Linux platform, please note that the physical resources (principally RAM) of the deployment platform may limit the overall resultset size your Agents can handle. More memory is always better.
QuerySurge Agent Installation Location
Agents should be installed on wire-connected platforms on the same network as your QuerySurge App server. Installing Agents on machines that might be connected via WiFi or by VPN will not only send potentially large amounts of data over a narrow connection but may also expose data on an insecure connection. Additionally, network topology, especially over VPN, may slow or interfere with the connection.
Note: Agents should never be co-installed with other programs or processes that might interfere with or hook the Agent process. This includes, but is not limited to, co-installation with products like automated GUI-testing tools.
QuerySurge Agent Installation
- To install a QuerySurge Agent, complete the following steps.
- Double click on the QuerySurge Installer. You must use the same installer version as your QuerySurge version.
- At the Welcome screen, click the Next
- Review the license agreement and select the
“I accept the agreement” radio button in order to
continue with the installation. Click the Next
- Specify the “Installation Directory” and click the Next button.
- Make sure that only the Agent checkbox is checked and press the Next button (you will have to uncheck the Database, App Server and Tutorial).
- Select the JDBC drivers that you’d like to connect to from QuerySurge. After selecting drivers, click Next.
- For each driver selected, you must accept the driver’s License Agreement. Please select the “I accept the agreement” radio button and then press the Next button.
Note: If you do not see your specific technology listed, you can add additional drivers to QuerySurge Agents post-installation. The installer shows a partial listing of drivers that work with QuerySurge – you can try anything with a JDBC driver.
- Connect the Agent to QuerySurge. Check the Test Agent Connection With Server. Enter the Hostname or IP address in the Hostname box. Enter the HTTP port of your QuerySurge App Server if it is not the default (80) in the Port box. Click on Next. The Installer will try to connect the Agent to QuerySurge and register it.
Note: Even if the installer cannot ping QuerySurge, you can still complete the Agent installation.
- At the Ready to Install dialog, click Next to start the Agent installation.
- After the Agent is installed, click on Finish. Your Agent is installed.
- You may want to install additional Agents (a minimum of one is required). There is a limit of one Agent install per Operating System (OS). You can repeat this procedure on additional OS's. To deploy multiple Agents on a single OS, download QuerySurge's Agent docker container. See this Knowledge Base article for details.
Enable your QuerySurge Agent
Note: if you have deployed the core QuerySurge components (QuerySurge App Server, QuerySurge Database and QuerySurge Agent) to a single platform for trial purposes, then the Agent will be automatically enabled and you do not need to complete the following steps.
- When you installed the Agent, you connected the Agent to QuerySurge (Step 9 above). This allowed the Agent to automatically register itself with QuerySurge. However, while the Agent is registered, it is not enabled. It is also not available to any QuerySurge Project, nor is it enabled for any Project.
- To enable your Agent globally, log into QuerySurge as a QuerySurge Admin. Use the menu or the toolbar to go to the Admin view in QuerySurge. Click on the Agents node in the left nav tree. Find your new Agent, and click the slider in the Enabled Globally column for the Agent to globally enable your Agent. This step enables your Agent globally for use but does not assign it to a project or enable it on a project.
- Double-click on the newly enabled Agent (or single-click and use the Edit button) to access the Edit Agent dialog. Click on the Projects tab and add your Agent to one or more Projects (using the "Add Project" icon). Click Save (lower right).
- You will need to log into the Project(s) to which you have assigned the Agent as a Project Admin, and go to the Admin view, where you'll need to use the left nav to click on the Agents node. Find your Agent, and, in the Enable in Project column, click on the slider to enable your Agent at the Project level.
Now your Agent is both globally enabled and enabled in your Project(s), and should be available to handle QuerySurge execution runs.
Post-Install: Connecting Your Agent to QuerySurge
- If you did not connect your Agent to QuerySurge during installation, you'll need to connect it after installation. On the box that you installed the Agent on, click on the Start Menu > App Programs > QuerySurge > Open Agent Console. (You may have to run the Agent Console as Administrator.)
The Agent Console will show a Connection Failure error message. This is because the Agent was started by the installer, even though it did not have connection information.
- Stop the Agent by clicking on the Stop Agent Service button (lower left). Wait for the "Agent Service has stopped" message under the Agent Service Status box.
- In the QuerySurge Server box (at the top of the Console window), replace "localhost" with your QuerySurge server name or IP address. Replace the default port number 80 with your HTTP port if you installed with a port number different than 80. Make sure the server name/IP address are separated from the port number by a colon (no spaces).
- Now, start the Agent by clicking on the Start Agent Service button (lower left). Repeat the steps under Enable your QuerySurge Agent to Enable the Agent.