QuerySurge Agent Installation
- To install a QuerySurge Agent, complete the following steps.
- Double click on the QuerySurge Installer. You must use the same installer version as your QuerySurge version.
- At the Welcome screen, click the Next
- Review the license agreement and select the
“I accept the agreement” radio button in order to
continue with the installation. Click the Next
- Specify the “Installation Directory” and click the Next button.
- Make sure that only the Agent checkbox is checked and press the Next button (you will have to uncheck the Database, App Server and Tutorial).
- Select the JDBC drivers that you’d like to connect to from QuerySurge. After selecting drivers, click Next.
- For each driver selected, you must accept the driver’s License Agreement. Please select the “I accept the agreement” radio button and then press the Next button.
Note: If you do not see your specific technology listed, you can add additional drivers to QuerySurge Agents post-installation. The installer shows a partial listing of drivers that work with QuerySurge – you can try anything with a JDBC driver.
- Connect the Agent to QuerySurge. Check the Test Agent Connection With Server. Enter the Hostname or IP address in the Hostname box. Enter the HTTP port of your QuerySurge App Server if it is not the default (80) in the Port box. Click on Next. The Installer will try to connect the Agent to QuerySurge and register it.
Note: Even if the installer cannot ping QuerySurge, you can still complete the Agent installation.
- At the Ready to Install dialog, click Next to start the Agent installation.
- After the Agent is installed, click on Finish.
QuerySurge Agents are delegated the actual query tasks by QuerySurge. By default, the QuerySurge Agent installs as a service – so it will start automatically when your Agent platform restarts, does not require a user to be logged in and has no user interface. The QuerySurge Agent does, however, have a QuerySurge Agent Service Console, which allows you to configure the Agent service on Windows and to see Agent status.
Deploy your Agent(s) to suitable boxes in your environment. While Agents may be deployed to any Windows platform from Windows XP onward, or to any Linux platform from RHEL 5 onward, please note that the physical resources (principally RAM) of the deployment platform may limit the overall resultset size your Agents can handle. More memory is always better.
NOTE: if you have deployed the core QuerySurge components (QuerySurge App Server, QuerySurge Database and QuerySurge Agent) to a single platform for trial purposes, then the Agent will be automatically configured and you do not need to complete the steps below.
Enable your QuerySurge Agent
To enable a QuerySurge Agent, complete the following steps:
- When you installed the Agent, you connected the Agent to QuerySurge (Step 9 above). This allowed the Agent to automatically register itself with QuerySurge. However, while the Agent is registered, it is not enabled.
- To enable your Agent, log into QuerySurge as a QuerySurge Admin. Use the menu or the toolbar to go to the Admin view in QuerySurge. Click on the Agents node in the left nav tree. Find your new Agent (it will usually be identified by either the machine name or IP address of the machine it is installed on), and click the Enabled checkbox to the left of the Hostname of the Agent installation.
Once you have done this, the Agent should connect to QuerySurge and be ready to execute queries.
- If you did not connect your Agent to QuerySurge during installation, you need to connect it after installation. On the box that you installed the Agent on, click on the Start Menu > App Programs > QuerySurge > Open Agent Console. (You may have to run the Agent Console as Administrator.)
The Agent Console will show a Connection Failure error message. This is because the Agent was started by the installer, even though it did not have connection information.
- Stop the Agent by clicking on the Stop Agent Service button (lower left). Wait for the "Agent Service has stopped" message under the Agent Service Status box.
- In the QuerySurge Server box (at the top of the Console window), replace "localhost" with your QuerySurge server name or IP address. Replace the default port number 80 with your HTTP port if you installed with a port number different than 80. Make sure the server name/IP address are separated from the port number by a colon (no spaces).
- Now, start the Agent by clicking on the Start Agent Service button (lower left). Repeat the steps under Enable your QuerySurge Agent to Enable the Agent.