QuerySurge upgrades are performed via the QuerySurge installer. This is the same installer that is used for a new installation; if the installer detects a previous QuerySurge installation, it switches to upgrade mode and prepares to upgrade your QuerySurge installation to the version of the installer.
Note: You will need local Administrative rights to perform the upgrade tasks.
The most important best practice for a QuerySurge upgrade is to back up the QuerySurge Database data directory before upgrading. While this directory should be part of your regular ongoing backup process – the only way to protect your QuerySurge data is to regularly back up the database data directory – it is critical to take a backup of this directory immediately prior to running an upgrade, to ensure that you have saved the most current version of your data.
Pre-Upgrade Requirements and Best Practices
- Clean your QuerySurge Database before Backup
You may have data in your QuerySurge database that you do not need to keep. This data is of two related types: Design-time Runs and Execution Runs. Cleaning out data prior to backing up your database may save a significant amount of time and disk space. Of course, if you need the data, do not delete it.
- Design-time runs. QuerySurge stores a maximum of one set of results for each Design-time Run, but this can still be a large amount of data. If you have a large number of QueryPairs, or if your QueryPairs return large result sets (or both), your Design-time Run data may be significant. Consider deleting it using the Data Retention feature in the Administrative View.
- Execution Runs. Obviously, full execution runs may contain very significant amounts of data, depending on number and size. Consider deleting Scenario executions that you do not need using the Data Management feature in the Administrative View.
- Back up your QuerySurge Database
This is essential - it provides your only protection against data loss were something unexpected to happen during the upgrade.
For a full discussion of QuerySurge backups with instructions, see our Knowledge Base article on backups.
Caution: If you don’t back up your data prior to running an upgrade, you risk irretrievable loss of your data.
- Ensure all QuerySurge processes (Application/Database) are running. During the installation process a license check is performed and will fail if these processes are not running.
- Make sure all antivirus software (or similar software) is shut down before you start the upgrade, as these processes can interfere with the upgrade process, potentially breaking your installation.
Note: Antivirus software must be shut down during the upgrade process.
- Obtain the current installer to perform your upgrade by logging into the QuerySurge Knowledge base site. All downloads are located in Upgrades + Installers. If you have not previously registered for a login, you will need to do so.
- Download the proper installer for your QuerySurge deployment. For Windows, there are two options:
- 32-bit Windows installer
- 64-bit Windows installer
- Copy the QuerySurge installer to each location where a QuerySurge component is installed. Remember, you will need local Administrative rights at all locations for the remaining steps.
- Copy the installer to the location where your QuerySurge Application server is deployed.
- Copy the installer to the location where your QuerySurge Database is deployed (if different from the application server).
- Copy the installer to the location(s) where your QuerySurge Agent(s) is/are deployed (if different from the application server).
- Running the Upgrade
- If you have QuerySurge components loaded in different locations, upgrade them in the following order: the QuerySurge Database, the QuerySurge Application Server and then the QuerySurge Agent(s).
- During the upgrade, users should not attempt to access QuerySurge.
- You will have to provide the QuerySurge Admin user credentials during update.
- Note that the installer may refuse to perform an upgrade if it detects an unexpected condition. If this occurs, contact QuerySurge support.
- As noted above, upgrades and new installs are performed by the same installer. When the installer detects an existing installation, it automatically switches to upgrade mode and notifies you that an upgrade is about to be performed. (Your message may differ slightly depending on the specifics of your deployment.)
- Once the upgrade has completed, log into QuerySurge and go to Help > About QuerySurge to verify that you are on the new version.
Important Note on Upgrading to QuerySurge 5.0+
The QuerySurge 5.0 release contains the QuerySurge Data Staging feature. This feature is licensed separately, so you may need to request for the feature to be enabled (via a new license). Contact your representative for information.