The QuerySurge database retains all of your regularly executed Test Suites by default (Design-Time execution runs are different – only the most recent is retained). This means not only are the results stored, but the all results data for each Query in each QueryPair is stored. Depending on the style of testing employed and the amount of storage available to the QuerySurge database, disk space can be used up relatively quickly on your QuerySurge database server. QuerySurge therefore provides Database Management tools in order to deal with the accumulation of data.
Data Management Options
THREE OPTIONS: DELETE, ARCHIVE, EXPORT
Three database management options are available. All of them operate at the QuerySurge Scenario level. It is important to be aware that these options apply only to your results data, not to any testing assets (i.e., QueryPairs, Suites, Scenarios are unaffected by these options).
- Delete – Deletes all the data associated with the Scenario, including the result data returned during Scenario execution as well as the high-level summary results.
CAUTION: This is a hard delete. If this option is used, the deleted data cannot be recovered.
- Archive – Produces a .sql file containing all the resultsets returned to QuerySurge during Scenario execution, and deletes the underlying tables containing the result data. High-level test result data is not deleted, however. The resulting .sql file for the Scenario can be archived and can be used to restore the data to the system at a later date using the Restore Utility option.
Note: While Archive files should be moved off of the QuerySurge application server for long-term storage, the Restore Utility reads the files from the backups directory on the QuerySurge application server. Therefore, if you have moved them to remote storage, the files will have to be copied back to the backups directory prior to executing a Restore.
- Export – Produces a .sql file containing all the resultsets returned to QuerySurge during Scenario execution. No data is deleted from QuerySurge.
ARCHIVE AND EXPORT FILE LOCATIONS
- Zipped .sql files produce during Archiving or Exporting are written to the “backups” folder on the QuerySurge application server.
- On Microsoft Windows, the default installation location is:
- On Linux, the default installation location is:
Note: All zipped output files are stored on the QuerySurge application server. QuerySurge stores the files locally on the QuerySurge application server to avoid pushing large files over the network. However, it does mean that you may consume significant disk space on the QuerySurge application server by Exporting or Archiving. These files should therefore be moved to long-term file storage as soon as is feasible.
ARCHIVING, EXPORTING OR DELETING
You can access the Data Management tools by logging into QuerySurge as an Administrator, and navigating to the Administrative View. In the left nav tree, click on Data Management under Data Storage.
To initiate the Archive, Export or Delete process, either Shift-click on a range of Scenarios or Cntrl-click on individual Scenarios to select them.
Then use the Archive, Delete or Export buttons to Archive, Delete or Export the selected Scenarios:
BEST PRACTICE To preserve QuerySurge data, back up the database server disk drive. Most organizations have regular directory backup processes; to safeguard all of your QuerySurge data, make sure that the QuerySurge database server disk is part of the backup process. See our discussion of QuerySurge backups in this article.